SheetMaker for Linux# (SML) is a set of GUI programs to generate moviesheets and thumbnails for use with many Media Players. A command-line version (smlcli) is also available that can run unattended once set-up.
Originally developed for use with the WDTVLive media player that is using the 'WDLXTV' firmware, it can be used for any media player that supports display of Thumbnails and Movie Sheets.
SML accesses TheMovieDB.org to gather backgrounds, fanarts and cover images and gathers textual movie information from a user-selected movie site (currently either IMDB.com or MovieMeter.nl), and generates moviesheets and thumbnails determined by user-defined parameters.
It also accesses TheTVDB.com to gather information and artwork for process of TV Shows, TV Series, Seasons and Episodes.
Sheets are generated using pre-configured templates, many of which are available through http://wdtvforum.com and http://forum.wdlxtv.com.
Many of these templates are now available on this site, and have been modified to better suit Linux and SheetMaker. (see Templates).
Current features include:
The image rendering is done using the ImageMagick module from within Perl.
Several Perl modules (i.e. 'add-ons') and some other Linux utilities and programs are required to run the scripts which may not be installed on your system, so some action will be required to have these installed (see the installation instructions).
- Option to Read/Write user-defined data files.
- Migrate to API Version 3 of themoviedb.org.
19th Sep 2013
Updated Versions Available:
Switch-over to version 3 of the 'themoviedb.org' API - (The previous version has been discontinued).
NOTE: These versions require an extra CPAN module, to be loaded. i.e. 'JSON::Parse' (See the module-check programs included in the program bundle.)
17th Sep 2013
Important! Previous versions will no longer work on processing Movies
The cause... 'theMovieDB.org' web site which is accessed to get Movie Posters and data, has changed the method of accessing the data.
A new release of SheetMaker is being developed with several upgrades and includes this change but is not ready for release yet.
In the meantime an interim version will be made available over the next day or two that will get the Movies working again.
16th June 2013
Maintenace Versions Available:
These include the changes found in 1.27.2 and 1.0.4 plus uses a better behaved and separate temporary working directory.
14th June 2013
### WARNING #### Product re-call.
Do not use versions: GUI: 1.27.2 and CLI: 1.0.4
There is a potential that when cleaning up the temporary work file directory it will delete files it's not supposed to.
12th June 2013
Maintenace Versions Released:
Critical Fix - GUI and CLI...
A recently detected bug has existed since the first version where some parts of the code don't handle spaces in path names for the temporary work directory. While it doesn't cause program crashes it certainly caused the program not to work properly for many users.
These releases have fixed that problem and should now operate correctly for everyone. A special thanks to the user that raised the alert on this problem.
Also included in GUI Version...
- Fixed problem where you could only add files for processing from within the Viewer if a sheet already exists.
- Added '.divx' extension to video file detection list.
- Improved Directory Management and Cleanup
20th February 2013
Maintenace Versions Released:
Fixes data problems following recent format changes to the IMDB.com site.
1st February 2013
Maintenace Version 1.27 Released
Some user system configurations don't successfully support the use of Perl Module 'DBFile' which is used to store and read country and language data.
Release 1.27 of SheetMaker drops the use of 'DBFile' and uses flat text files instead, so if you get the message 'cant open SheetMaker.data' when running version 1.26.1 and the file definitely exists, then use this version of the program and data files instead.
Web Site Download Difficulties
Several users are still getting Error 403 on downloads no matter what they try, so the 'scripted' download links have been replaced with simple html links.
13th October 2012
Version 1.0.2 CLI Program
Fix of another bug that caused inconsistent creation of 'Extra' and 'Parent' thumbs which could also cause program crash under certain conditions.
9th October 2012
Version 1.0.1 CLI Program
Bug Fix: Fixes a reference pointing to the wrong error logger.
4th October 2012
Version 1.0 CLI Program
The first release of the command-line version (smlcli.pl) is now available in the downloads section. The package includes the program, a config manager and documentation.
15th May 2012
Version 1.26.1 Released
Updated to standardise the detection of user files. (i.e. Thumbnails, Sheets and TGMD files)
File detection will be to look for user-defined names first (as set via the 'Options' tab), then look for the default name, then look for 'hidden' default name.
8th May 2012
Version 1.26 Available
Release No. 1.26 is now available.
Version 1.26 Changes ...
.. Changes added since version 1.26T (Test)
- Fixed transparency problem with new versions of 'ImageMagick'.
- Fixed problem with TV show Episode detection.
- Fixed problem with naming and saving of TGMD files.
- Fixed problem with missing NFO file data values in edit.
- Fixed problem with loading of incomplete TGMD files.
- Expanded filename detection to include Unix 'hidden' files
.. Changes since version 1.25
'Sheet Editor' upgrades:
- Removed button options in favour of right-click context-sensitive menu.
- Added option to remove images from the work list.
- Added option to extract and save any image in the work list.
- Replaced Fanart selection radio-buttons with check-buttons for better control
- Added explicit button to update the TGMD file with edited changes - disabled background 'auto-update'.
- Improved Double-Click behaviour - better performance.
- Added auto re-draw of images when moving in and out of the viewer tab.
- Added auto re-size of sheet image when windows are resized.
- Added 'Best Fit' option for displaying sheet images.
- Fixed Thumbnail scroll-bar to reset when changing directory.
- Improved GUI creation on initial program load.
- Fixed some GUI frame display problems.
- Improved Error Handling
- GUI resizing code added - better fit for larger screens. - Improved recovery and cleanup on Mediainfo timeout - Unicode: file naming and image rendering support with appropriate font.[i.e non-ascii and wide characters (e.g. Asian alphabets)]. - Dropped the use of CPAN Module 'exiftool'. (Not unicode compatible). - Non-English Language support (if available) when retrieving data from TheMovieDB and TheTVDB sites.
For example ...
(But you'll need at least version 126.96.36.199 of Imagemagick and PerlMagick.)